Saturday, October 10, 2009

A few psalms of David

Psalm 2

.. 2:1 Why do the nations rage,
and the peoples plot a vain thing?
..2:2 The kings of the earth take a stand,
and the rulers take counsel together,
against Yahweh, and against his Anointed, saying,
2:3 "Let's break their bonds apart,
and cast their cords from us."
2:4 He who sits in the heavens will laugh.
The Lord will have them in derision.
2:5 Then he will speak to them in his anger,
and terrify them in his wrath:
2:6 "Yet I have set my King on my holy hill of Zion."
2:7 I will tell of the decree.
Yahweh said to me, "You are my son.
Today I have become your father.
2:8 Ask of me, and I will give the nations for your inheritance,
the uttermost parts of the earth for your possession.
2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron.
You shall dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel."
2:10 Now therefore be wise, you kings.
Be instructed, you judges of the earth.
2:11 Serve Yahweh with fear,
and rejoice with trembling.
2:12 Give sincere homage to the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way,
for his wrath will soon be kindled.
Blessed are all those who take refuge in him.


Psalm 7
A meditation by David, which he sang to Yahweh, concerning the words of Cush, the Benjamite.


7:1 Yahweh, my God, I take refuge in you.
Save me from all those who pursue me, and deliver me,
7:2 lest they tear apart my soul like a lion,
ripping it in pieces, while there is none to deliver.
7:3 Yahweh, my God, if I have done this,
if there is iniquity in my hands,
7:4 if I have rewarded evil to him who was at peace with me
(yes, if I have delivered him who without cause was my adversary),
7:5 let the enemy pursue my soul, and overtake it;
yes, let him tread my life down to the earth,
and lay my glory in the dust.
Selah.
7:6 Arise, Yahweh, in your anger.
Lift up yourself against the rage of my adversaries.
Awake for me. You have commanded judgment.
7:7 Let the congregation of the peoples surround you.
Rule over them on high.
7:8 Yahweh administers judgment to the peoples.
Judge me, Yahweh, according to my righteousness,
and to my integrity that is in me.
7:9 Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end,
but establish the righteous;
their minds and hearts are searched by the righteous God.
7:10 My shield is with God,
who saves the upright in heart.
7:11 God is a righteous judge,
yes, a God who has indignation every day.
7:12 If a man doesn't relent, he will sharpen his sword;
he has bent and strung his bow.
7:13 He has also prepared for himself the instruments of death.
He makes ready his flaming arrows.
7:14 Behold, he travails with iniquity.
Yes, he has conceived mischief,
and brought forth falsehood.
7:15 He has dug a hole,
and has fallen into the pit which he made.
7:16 The trouble he causes shall return to his own head.
His violence shall come down on the crown of his own head.
7:17 I will give thanks to Yahweh according to his righteousness,
and will sing praise to the name of Yahweh Most High.

Psalm 8


Psalm 9
For the Chief Musician. Set to "The Death of the Son." A Psalm by David.


9:1 I will give thanks to Yahweh with my whole heart.
I will tell of all your marvelous works.
9:2 I will be glad and rejoice in you.
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.
9:3 When my enemies turn back,
they stumble and perish in your presence.
9:4 For you have maintained my just cause.
You sit on the throne judging righteously.
9:5 You have rebuked the nations.
You have destroyed the wicked.
You have blotted out their name forever and ever.
9:6 The enemy is overtaken by endless ruin.
The very memory of the cities which you have overthrown has perished.
9:7 But Yahweh reigns forever.
He has prepared his throne for judgment.
9:8 He will judge the world in righteousness.
He will administer judgment to the peoples in uprightness.
9:9 Yahweh will also be a high tower for the oppressed;
a high tower in times of trouble.
9:10 Those who know your name will put their trust in you,
for you, Yahweh, have not forsaken those who seek you.
9:11 Sing praises to Yahweh, who dwells in Zion,
and declare among the people what he has done.
9:12 For he who avenges blood remembers them.
He doesn't forget the cry of the afflicted.
9:13 Have mercy on me, Yahweh.
See my affliction by those who hate me,
and lift me up from the gates of death;
9:14 that I may show forth all your praise.
In the gates of the daughter of Zion, I will rejoice in your salvation.
9:15 The nations have sunk down in the pit that they made.
In the net which they hid, their own foot is taken.
9:16 Yahweh has made himself known.
He has executed judgment.
The wicked is snared by the work of his own hands.
Meditation. Selah.
9:17 The wicked shall be turned back to Sheol,
even all the nations that forget God.
9:18 For the needy shall not always be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor perish forever.
9:19 Arise, Yahweh! Don't let man prevail.
Let the nations be judged in your sight.
9:20 Put them in fear, Yahweh.
Let the nations know that they are only men.
Selah.
Psalm 19
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm by David.


19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God.
The expanse shows his handiwork.
19:2 Day after day they pour forth speech,
and night after night they display knowledge.
19:3 There is no speech nor language,
where their voice is not heard.
19:4 Their voice has gone out through all the earth,
their words to the end of the world.
In them he has set a tent for the sun,
19:5 which is as a bridegroom coming out of his room,
like a strong man rejoicing to run his course.
19:6 His going forth is from the end of the heavens,
his circuit to its ends;
There is nothing hidden from its heat.
19:7 Yahweh's law is perfect, restoring the soul.
Yahweh's testimony is sure, making wise the simple.
19:8 Yahweh's precepts are right, rejoicing the heart.
Yahweh's commandment is pure, enlightening the eyes.
19:9 The fear of Yahweh is clean, enduring forever.
Yahweh's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
19:10 More to be desired are they than gold, yes, than much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey and the extract of the honeycomb.
19:11 Moreover by them is your servant warned.
In keeping them there is great reward.
19:12 Who can discern his errors?
Forgive me from hidden errors.
19:13 Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins.
Let them not have dominion over me.
Then I will be upright.
I will be blameless and innocent of great transgression.
19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight,
Yahweh, my rock, and my redeemer.
Psalm 22
For the Chief Musician; set to "The Doe of the Morning." A Psalm by David.


22:1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from helping me, and from the words of my groaning?
22:2 My God, I cry in the daytime, but you don't answer;
in the night season, and am not silent.
22:3 But you are holy,
you who inhabit the praises of Israel.
22:4 Our fathers trusted in you.
They trusted, and you delivered them.
22:5 They cried to you, and were delivered.
They trusted in you, and were not disappointed.
22:6 But I am a worm, and no man;
a reproach of men, and despised by the people.
22:7 All those who see me mock me.
They insult me with their lips. They shake their heads, saying,
22:8 "He trusts in Yahweh;
let him deliver him.
Let him rescue him, since he delights in him."
22:9 But you brought me out of the womb.
You made me trust at my mother's breasts.
22:10 I was thrown on you from my mother's womb.
You are my God since my mother bore me.
22:11 Don't be far from me, for trouble is near.
For there is none to help.
22:12 Many bulls have surrounded me.
Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled me.
22:13 They open their mouths wide against me,
lions tearing prey and roaring.
22:14 I am poured out like water.
All my bones are out of joint.
My heart is like wax;
it is melted within me.
22:15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd.
My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth.
You have brought me into the dust of death.
22:16 For dogs have surrounded me.
A company of evildoers have enclosed me.
They have pierced my hands and feet.
22:17 I can count all of my bones.
They look and stare at me.
22:18 They divide my garments among them.
They cast lots for my clothing.
22:19 But don't be far off, Yahweh.
You are my help: hurry to help me.
22:20 Deliver my soul from the sword,
my precious life from the power of the dog.
22:21 Save me from the lion's mouth!
Yes, from the horns of the wild oxen, you have answered me.
22:22 I will declare your name to my brothers.
In the midst of the assembly, I will praise you.
22:23 You who fear Yahweh, praise him!
All you descendants of Jacob, glorify him!
Stand in awe of him, all you descendants of Israel!
22:24 For he has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted,
Neither has he hidden his face from him;
but when he cried to him, he heard.
22:25 Of you comes my praise in the great assembly.
I will pay my vows before those who fear him.
22:26 The humble shall eat and be satisfied.
They shall praise Yahweh who seek after him.
Let your hearts live forever.
22:27 All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to Yahweh.
All the relatives of the nations shall worship before you.
22:28 For the kingdom is Yahweh's.
He is the ruler over the nations.
22:29 All the rich ones of the earth shall eat and worship.
All those who go down to the dust shall bow before him,
even he who can't keep his soul alive.
22:30 Posterity shall serve him.
Future generations shall be told about the Lord.
22:31 They shall come and shall declare his righteousness to a people that shall be born,
for he has done it.
Psalm 30
A Psalm. A Song for the Dedication of the Temple. By David.


30:1 I will extol you, Yahweh, for you have raised me up,
and have not made my foes to rejoice over me.
30:2 Yahweh my God, I cried to you,
and you have healed me.
30:3 Yahweh, you have brought up my soul from Sheol.
You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.
30:4 Sing praise to Yahweh, you saints of his.
Give thanks to his holy name.
30:5 For his anger is but for a moment.
His favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may stay for the night,
but joy comes in the morning.
30:6 As for me, I said in my prosperity,
"I shall never be moved."
30:7 You, Yahweh, when you favored me, made my mountain stand strong;
but when you hid your face, I was troubled.
30:8 I cried to you, Yahweh.
To Yahweh I made supplication:
30:9 "What profit is there in my destruction, if I go down to the pit?
Shall the dust praise you?
Shall it declare your truth?
30:10 Hear, Yahweh, and have mercy on me.
Yahweh, be my helper."
30:11 You have turned my mourning into dancing for me.
You have removed my sackcloth, and clothed me with gladness,
30:12 To the end that my heart may sing praise to you, and not be silent.
Yahweh my God, I will give thanks to you forever!
Psalm 34
By David; when he pretended to be insane before Abimelech, who drove him away, and he departed.*


34:1 I will bless Yahweh at all times.
His praise will always be in my mouth.
34:2 My soul shall boast in Yahweh.
The humble shall hear of it, and be glad.
34:3 Oh magnify Yahweh with me.
Let us exalt his name together.
34:4 I sought Yahweh, and he answered me,
and delivered me from all my fears.
34:5 They looked to him, and were radiant.
Their faces shall never be covered with shame.
34:6 This poor man cried, and Yahweh heard him,
and saved him out of all his troubles.
34:7 The angel of Yahweh encamps around those who fear him,
and delivers them.
34:8 Oh taste and see that Yahweh is good.
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
34:9 Oh fear Yahweh, you his saints,
for there is no lack with those who fear him.
34:10 The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger,
but those who seek Yahweh shall not lack any good thing.
34:11 Come, you children, listen to me.
I will teach you the fear of Yahweh.
34:12 Who is someone who desires life,
and loves many days, that he may see good?
34:13 Keep your tongue from evil,
and your lips from speaking lies.
34:14 Depart from evil, and do good.
seek peace, and pursue it.
34:15 Yahweh's eyes are toward the righteous.
His ears listen to their cry.
34:16 Yahweh's face is against those who do evil,
to cut off their memory from the earth.
34:17 The righteous cry, and Yahweh hears,
and delivers them out of all their troubles.
34:18 Yahweh is near to those who have a broken heart,
and saves those who have a crushed spirit.
34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
but Yahweh delivers him out of them all.
34:20 He protects all of his bones.
Not one of them is broken.
34:21 Evil shall kill the wicked.
Those who hate the righteous shall be condemned.
34:22 Yahweh redeems the soul of his servants.
None of those who take refuge in him shall be condemned.
Psalm 45
For the Chief Musician. Set to "The Lilies." A contemplation by the sons of Korah. A wedding song.


45:1 My heart overflows with a noble theme.
I recite my verses for the king.
My tongue is like the pen of a skillful writer.
45:2 You are the most excellent of the sons of men.
Grace has anointed your lips,
therefore God has blessed you forever.
45:3 Strap your sword on your thigh, mighty one:
your splendor and your majesty.
45:4 In your majesty ride on victoriously on behalf of truth, humility, and righteousness.
Let your right hand display awesome deeds.
45:5 Your arrows are sharp.
The nations fall under you, with arrows in the heart of the king's enemies.
45:6 Your throne, God, is forever and ever.
A scepter of equity is the scepter of your kingdom.
45:7 You have loved righteousness, and hated wickedness.
Therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness above your fellows.
45:8 All your garments smell like myrrh, aloes, and cassia.
Out of ivory palaces stringed instruments have made you glad.
45:9 Kings' daughters are among your honorable women.
At your right hand the queen stands in gold of Ophir.
45:10 Listen, daughter, consider, and turn your ear.
Forget your own people, and also your father's house.
45:11 So the king will desire your beauty,
honor him, for he is your lord.
45:12 The daughter of Tyre comes with a gift.
The rich among the people entreat your favor.
45:13 The princess inside is all glorious.
Her clothing is interwoven with gold.
45:14 She shall be led to the king in embroidered work.
The virgins, her companions who follow her, shall be brought to you.
45:15 With gladness and rejoicing they shall be led.
They shall enter into the king's palace.
45:16 Your sons will take the place of your fathers.
You shall make them princes in all the earth.
45:17 I will make your name to be remembered in all generations.
Therefore the peoples shall give you thanks forever and ever
Psalm 43
43:1 Vindicate me, God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation.
Oh, deliver me from deceitful and wicked men.
43:2 For you are the God of my strength. Why have you rejected me?
Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?
43:3 Oh, send out your light and your truth.
Let them lead me.
Let them bring me to your holy hill,
To your tents.
43:4 Then I will go to the altar of God,
to God, my exceeding joy.
I will praise you on the harp, God, my God.
43:5 Why are you in despair, my soul?
Why are you disturbed within me?
Hope in God!
For I shall still praise him:
my Savior, my helper, and my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment